Uthappam is delicious south Indian recipe made with idly batter. Every time I prepare idly batter I definitely prepare uthappam. My most favourite breakfast. Curnchy and spongy taste, onions and little chillies inbetween… gives a great taste….
Generally uthappam is looks like a thick dosa. To prepare uthappam, pour ladle full of idly batter( For idly batter preparation check below “procedure”) on heated dosa pan and move it in a clockwise direction. Sprinkle 1 table spoon of oil at edges and sprinkle finely chopped onions, green chillies and coriander leaves on the top. Sprinkle some cumin seeds too. Roast it on a medium flame till golden brown appear on bottom side then flip it and roast for 2 minutes then yummy yummy uthappam is ready. Have with sambar or chutney…
Uthappam is very very healthy for kids. Crispyness in this uthappam make the children finger licking.
When you prepare uthappam for your children replace green chillies with tomato pieces or grated carrot.
Must try this recipe…
For preparation of idly batter : half day
For uthappam : 10 minutes
Cooking time:15 minutes
Equipment required: dosa pan
For idly batter
- Split black gram (urud daal /mina pappu) : 1 cup
- Idly rava : 2 cups
- Salt : as required
- Onion: 1, finely chopped
- Green chillies: 3, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves: half cup, finely chopped
- Cumin seeds: 2 table spoons
idly batter procedure:
- Soak split black gram ( urud daal) in water for 4- 5 hours. After 4 hours drain it and wash it.
- Now in a mix jar add soaked split black gram (urud daal) make a smooth paste by adding 1/2 cup water. Remember batter should be fluffy not too thick.
- Meanwhile soak idly ravva in water for 1 hour then add it to the above paste and add salt, mix properly.
- Now rest this batter for upto 5- 6 hours or overnight..
- Put dosa pan on stove and heat for 5 minutes.
- Next pour ladle full of batter on the hot pan and move it in clockwise direction. Don’t make thin layer.
- Sprinkle few chopped onions, green chillies, coriander leaves and cumin seeds. Sprinkle little oil. Cook in slow flame for 5 minutes.
- When bottom appeared in golden color and firms up flip uthappam and Cook nicely ( Don’t burn the onions).
Now uthappam is ready to serve.. have with sambar or chutney..