Upma recipe is the south indian most popular breakfast recipe. There are various types of upma recipes. Here, I come up with tomato upma recipe with sooji rava. It is a very simple recipe. As you know, it is a healthy recipe as well. We can make it with our kitchen ingredients.
Here is to prepare this tomato upma recipe, first fry the Channa dal, onions, green chillies and curry leaves. Later add tomato pieces, cook for 2 minutes. Later add double quantity of water to the sooji rava. Once water reached to boiling point, turn off the flame and pour rava slowly and mix well without any lumps. ( If you don’t turn off the flame, while mixing rava you may get lumps). Finally decorate with roasted cashew nuts. This super easy upma recipe goes well with chutney or sambar. Or you can have it without out any sides.
This upma is best for snack boxes, lunch box, breakfast for light dinners. It is a perfect recipe for bachelor’s and working women.
You can also check my other recipes
Complete procedure to make tomato upma recipe :
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Equipment required: curry pan
- Sooji rava: 1 cup
- Onion: half, roughly chopped
- Green chillies: 3, sliced vertically
- Tomato: half slice, finely chopped
- Peanuts: half table spoon
- Split bengal gram (Channa dal) : half table spoon
- Cashew nuts: 6, fried
- Mustard seeds: half table spoon
- Curry leaves: few
- Salt : as required:
- In a curry pan, heat two table spoons of oil. Add peanuts, fry for half a minute.
- Next, add split bengal gram and mustard seeds, fry for half minute. Later add onions, green chillies and curry leaves, fry for 1 minute.
- Now, add chopped tomato pieces, cook till oil separates. Add 2 cups of water and salt, bring it boil.
- Once boiling point reached, switch off the flame. Now pour sooji slowly and mix well without any lumps. Close the lid and wait for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame, while mixing rava to the boiled water. Because you may get lumps while mixing.
Delicious tomato upma is ready to serve. Serve hot.