Broad beans means chikkudu Kaya in Telugu, Bakla in Hindi. Broad beans tomato curry is verytasty and easy to prepare. Andhra people like me love to cook chikkudu Kaya Tomato curry almost every week. For office going people it is a good curry because it takes less time cook and healthy too.
I am preparing chikkudu Kaya and Tomato curry in Andhra style.
Broad beans are rich source of different vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Broad beans helps to maintain the boold pressure in the body and regulate the heart function.Tomatoes are also very good source of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Tomatoes are very rich source of vitamin-c, tomatoes are good for eyes. Tomatoes lower the cholesterol and good for heart too.
In this broad beans tomato curry we use onions, green chillies, broad beans and tomatoes. We use the house hold spice powder I.e. Coriander powder ( dhaniya powder) for additional taste. If like to use red chilli powder, replace green chillies with red chilli powder. If want to use both green chillies and red chilli powder you can use. Only with kitchen ingredients are enough to make this curry.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Equipment used: Heavy bottomed pan
Serves : 4
- Broad beans: 1/4th kg
- Tomatoes : 3, chopped
- Onions: 3, finely chopped
- Green chillies: 3, vertically sliced
- Garlic cloves: 4, crushed
- Red chillies: 2
- Cumin seeds: 1 table spoon
- Curry leaves: few
- Turmeric powder: 1 table spoon
- Coriander powder: 1 table spoon
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 table spoon
- Coriander leaves: half cup, chopped
- Salt: 1 table spoon ( adjust accordingly)
- First chop the broad beans in 1 inch length size and half boil with salt. Squeeze the water in the broad beans and seat a side.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add 2 table spoons of oil, once heat add crushed garlic, red chillies, cumin seeds and curry leaves saute for 1 minute.
- Add finely chopped onions, green chillies, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and salt saute for 4 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and coriander powder saute for 5 minutes.
- Add boiled broad beans saute for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup water and half cup milk and bring to boil.
- Once reached boiling point reduce the flame to simmer and cover with lid. Cook for 5 minutes. Once reached required gravy consistency then add coriander leaves and and adjust salt , give a stir and switch off the stove.
Serve hot with rice or roti….