Tamarind upma (rice rava upma/ uppudu pindi) is a traditional South Indian recipe. It appears like upma and tastes like tamarind rice so we call it as tamarind upma. It is very easy to prepare. Usually it is suitable for breakfast or as light dinner.
Ingredients for this tamarind upma (uppudu pindi ) are same as tamarind rice, except rava. We use rice in tamarind rice whereas, rice rava in tamarind upma.
When I was a school-going girl, I first tasted this tamarind upma in my friend’s house. I cherish that taste even now–it is just registered in my mind. Since then, I am a big fan of this recipe.
Tamarind upma can be served as breakfast or snack or naivedyam/offering to God. You can also prepare it for kids lunch boxes or for office tiffin boxes.
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to share. Sharing is caring.
You can also check different breakfast recipes
You can also check different snack recipes
Complete details to make tamarind upma/ uppudu pindi:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Equipment required: curry pan
- Rice rava : 1 cup
- Tamarind: big lemon sized ball
- Peanuts: 1 table spoon
- Split bengal gram (Channa dal): 1 table spoon
- Mustard seeds: half table spoon
- Turmeric powder: half table spoon
- Green chillies: 4, slit
- Red chillies (whole): 2
- Curry leaves: handful
- Salt : required
- Roast rice rava nicely and keep it aside. Soak tamarind in water for 4 minutes and extract the juice.
- In a large cooking vessel, add 2 cups of water and half table spoon salt (or required) mix well and bring it to boil.
- Once boiling point reached, add rice rava and cook for 7-8 minutes on low flame. Stir in-between. Cook till rava completely done.
- Now take a kadai , heat 2 table spoons of oil and add peanuts, fry for 1 minute. Later add channa dal fry for half minute.
- Add mustard seeds, green chillies, red chillies, turmeric, curry leaves and cook for 1 minute on a low flame.
- Now add the tamarind juice and required salt. Cook for 2 minutes till nice gravy appeared. Then switch off the stove.
- Now add cooked rice rava to the gravy and mix well. Adjust salt.
Delicious tamarind upma / uppudu pindi is ready to serve.
- If you need more sourness, add lemon juice.