Ridge gourd means beerakaya in Telugu tori in Hindi. Ridge gourd curry is very easy to prepare and by using skin of the ridge gourd also we can prepare curry. This is one of my and my daughter favourite curry. This is very light food and easily digestive curry. When my family members are suffering from fever my mom used to gave us in lunch or dinner. So if you or your family members suffering with fever or stomach issues then curry goes very well.
This is very simple curry and takes very little time. For working people this is best curry. Ingredients are also very few I.e. onions , green chillies are enough to prepare. Green chillies will give nice taste to the recipe.
When you are preparing for kids use only one or no green chillies.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Equipment used : heavy bottomed pan
Serves : 3
- Ridge gourd : 3, peeled and finely chopped
- Onions : 2, finely chopped
- Green chillies : 3, sliced vertically
- Split Bengal gram ( chana daal/ senaga pappu) : 1 table spoon
- Garlic cloves : 5, crushed
- Cumin seeds (jeera/ jelakarra) : 1 table spoon
- Red chilli : 2
- Curry leaves : few
- Milk : half cup
- Coriander leaves : half cup, finely chopped
- Salt : 1 table spoon (adjust accordingly)
- In heavy bottomed pan heat 2 table spoons of oil, once hot add crushed garlic, red chilli, cumin seeds and curry leaves saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies, turmeric powder and salt saute until oil separates from onions.
- Add finely chopped ridge gourd saute until oil separates. Then add 1 cup water and milk bring to boil.
- Once reached to boiling point cover with lid and simmer the flame, cook for 10 minutes.
- when required gravy consistency appeared, adjust salt and add coriander leaves mix properly.switch off stove and serve hot.
Serve hot with rice or roti….