Prawn curry- Andhra style (royyala kura), is a spicy and reddish curry recipe prepared with indian shrimps. It is very easy to prepare. This prawn curry goes well with rice or roti.
In the curry preparation, we first roast the prawns well, so that raw smell of the prawns will completely vanish. Later we add onions paste and spice powders to make delicious gravy.
I am using home made garam masala powder here. Not using any other store bought masala powders.
You can also check my other recipes,
- Prawns biryani recipe – Andhra style
- Kodi kura – Andhra style
- Chicken curry – kolhapuri style
- More non veg curry recipes
- Biryani recipes
Step by step procedure to make prawn curry- Andhra style :
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Equipment required: curry pan
- Prawns : 1/4 kg, cleaned
- Onions : 2 small, chopped
- Tomato : 1 small, chopped
- Ginger: 2 inch, skin peeled and chopped
- Garlic cloves: 5
- Red chilli powder: 2 table spoons
- Coriander powder: 2 table spoons
- Turmeric powder: 1 table spoon
- Garam masala: 2 table spoons
- Coriander leaves: handful, finely chopped
- Salt : as required
For tampering (tadka):
- Garlic cloves: 6, skin peeled
- Cumin seeds: half table spoon
- Whole red chillies: 2
- Curry leaves: few
- Remove shells of the prawns and wash well.
- Make a smooth paste of onions, ginger and garlic cloves (mentioned in ingredients) and keep a side.
- In a curry pan, heat 2 table spoons of oil, add prawns and fry till they golden brown (on medium flame). It takes 10 minutes time.
- Later add onion paste and fry for 5 minutes. Add spice powders (turmeric, red chilli, coriander,salt, garam masala) and fry for 3 minutes.
- When oil separates, add tomato pieces and fry for 4 minutes on low flame.
- Next add 2 cups of water and bring it to boil. Next put it in low flame and cook for 5-6 minutes (till required gravy appears). Adjust spicy and salt.
- For tadka: heat half table spoon of oil in tadka pan, add garlic cloves, cumin seeds, red chillies and curry leaves, fry for half minute on low flame and pour it on to the curry.
- Mix tadka well with curry and garnish with coriander leaves.
Spicy and delicious prawn curry is ready to serve.