Poha is a maharastrian famous breakfast recipe. It is also popularly known as pohe recipe. Since I am living in Pune, it bacame a regular breakfast item at our home. I have excelled in preparing Poha in different varieties. It is a very easy recipe. On a busy day, it can be a great option for your breakfast and evening snack.
This recipe is prepared with onions, potato pieces and raw peanuts. So this is called as batata Poha in Maharashtra. We can prepare Poha with onions only, it is called as Kanda Poha(onion Poha).
Along with below ingredients, we can also use cashew nuts for additional richness. Fresh curry leaves and coriander leaves gives a nice taste to this recipe.
We can also prepare different recipe with flattened rice (Poha). Like Poha cutlet, chivda, Poha upma(atukula upma – Andhra recipe), kachori etc..
- Poha : 2 cups (flattend rice)
- Onion: 1 large, finely chopped
- Potato: 1 medium size, chopped as cubes
- Green chillies: 2, chopped in 1 inch size
- Raw peanuts: handful
- Mustard seeds (Rai): half table spoon
- Fennel seeds: half table spoon
- Curry leaves: few
- Coriander leaves: half cup
- Turmeric powder: half table spoon
- Salt: as required
- Lemon: 1
- First wash poha with running water with a strainer and keep it a side. Now add little turmeric powder, salt and then mix the contents well.
- In a curry pan add 2 table spoons of oil. Once oil becomes hot add peanuts and saute for half minute in a low flame . Now add mustard seeds and fennel seeds. once spluttering starts add chopped potato cubes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add finely chopped onions and green chillies, saute for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder and curry leaves, saute for a minute.
- Cook till all the ingredients are properly done. Lastly, add washed poha and mix well. Now close the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes. Now open the lid and add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Now switch off the stove and keep the lid covered for 5-6 minutes.
Now serve hot hot onion potato poha. While serving poha, squeeze the lemon on the top.
- For additional taste, garnish or serve with sev .