Pappu(toor dal) tomato is the curry we frequently made. Pappu tomato is very easy to prepare and delicious too. For children to old people , it is all time favourite recipie. Pappu tomato is very healthy too. Pappu tomato goes well with rice or roti…
For this pappu(toor dal) tomato curry we cook dal and sliced tomatoes simultaneously . I prefer pressure cooker to cook this recipe because pappu( dal) cook nicely in pressure cooker and takes less time. After that will give a rich tadka to the cooked pappu(dal).
If you are not using pressure cooker then you can cook daal and tomato pieces in cooking pot and add the tadka later.
Try to slice tomato pieces in large size for this recipe because large sized tomato pieces will give a very nice taste to the recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Equipment required: pressure cooker
- Kandi pappu (toor dal): 1 cup
- Tomatoes : 2 ( slice in large size)
- Onions: 1 sliced vertically and thinly
- Green chillies:2 , vertically sliced
- Turmeric powder: 1 table spoon
- Salt: 1 table spoon ( adjust accordingly)
- Garlic cloves: 6 , crushed
- Cumin seeds (jeela karra/jeera): 1 table spoon
- Mustard seeds (avalu/ Rai): 1 table spoon
- Red chillies: 3
- Curry leaves: few
- Coriander leaves: few ( optional)
- In a pressure cooker, add washed Kandi pappu (toor dal), 2 cups of water and sliced tomato pieces and sliced onions and green chillies and turmeric powder then close the lid. Place on the stove wait for 5 whistles. Cook in a medium flame.
- When 5 whistles are over, switch off the stove and wait till vapour completely goes out. Then add salt give a nice stir.
- In a tadka pan , add 1 table spoon of oil, once oil became hot add crushed garlic, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves saute for 1 minute and pour this tadka into cooked Kandi pappu (toor dal) and give a nice stir and serve hot..
Serve hot with hot rice or roti…