Onion chutney is a wonderful chutney tastes delicious when having with idly, dosa or uthappam. We will roast split bengal gram, split black gram, red chillies, coriander seeds , curry leaves, tamarind and onions to make this chutney.
we can also prepare different onion chutney’s like onion tomato chutney, onion peanut chutney etc.
When I first tasted this onion chutney with dosa oh my god it’s taste ultimate.. On that day onwards I am very big fan to this chutney.
Procedure is also very simple with only few ingredients. To get nice color for onion chutney try to use whole kashmiri red chillies and to get spicy taste, use desi whole red chillies.
For different chutney recipes go to chutney recipes here.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Equipment required: frying pan/ curry pan
- Onions: 2 big, chopped
- Split Bengal gram (chana daal/ senaga pappu): 1 table spoon
- Split black gram (urud daal/ mina pappu): 1 table spoon
- Whole red chillies: 3
- Coriander seeds: 1 table spoon
- Curry leaves: handful (optional)
- Raw tamarind:2 little pieces
- Salt : as required
- Put frying pan on medium flame, when hot reduce flame to add 1 table spoon oil .
- Once oil is hot add split Bengal gram, split black gram and red chillies saute for 2 minutes
- Add coriander seeds and curry leaves saute for 2 minutes. Now take these into plate and let it cool.
- In same frying pan add 1 table spoon of oil again and add the chopped onions when oil is hot.
- Saute until golden brown colour appear. Take these into another plate and let it cool.
- In a mixture chutney jar add cooled split Bengal gram, split black gram, red chillies, coriander seeds,curry leaves , tamarind and salt make a fine powder.
- Now add cooled onions and little water and make a fine paste.
- Prepare your desired consistency by adding more or less water. Adjust salt according to your taste.
Now yummy onion chutney is ready to serve….
You can refrigerate for 2-3 days for later use.