Mysore bonda recipe
Mysore bonda is one of the famous south indian recipes, specially from mangalorian cuisine. These dumplings are crispy outside and spongy inside. It can be served either as a breakfast or a snack. The main ingredients for this bonda recipe are refined flour (maida) and yogurt ( or buttermilk). We add baking soda (/soda), finely chopped onions, greenbchilles and coriander leaves additionally to enrich the taste. Mysore bonda goes well with coconut chutney, peanut chutney or sambar.
We will make bonda batter by mixing maida and curd(/ buttermilk). Fermentation of this Mysore bonda batter will give you an outstanding taste. You can make bonda without fermentaion also, but fermented batter will give you a different taste.
I usually mix the battter, previous night and left it overnight. And next morning, I will prepare Bonda. This gives me best results.
You are a requested to check my other recipes
Preparation time: overnight (or if you want to prepare quickly then ferment it for 1 hour)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Equipment required: deep frying pan
- Refined flour (Maida) : 1 cup,
- Yogurt : 1/3 cup (or half cup buttermilk)
- Baking soda: half table spoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 table spoon
- Onions: 1, finely chopped
- Green chillies: 2-3, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves: handful, finely chopped
- Salt: as required
- In a bowl, add refined flour (maida) and yogurt, mix well by adding required water.( mix the batter as shown below) . Leave it for overnight (or if you want to prepare quickly then ferment it for 1 hour)
- After fermentation, add finely chopped onions, green chillies, baking soda, salt, cumin seeds and coriander leaves to the batter and mix well.
- In a deep frying pan(/kadai), heat 2 cups of oil. Once oil becomes too hot, drop the little amount of batter. You can make 4 to 5 bonads at a time.
- Fry bonda’s till golden colour appears (on medium flame). Remove from the oil and place on kitchen tissue paper.
Crunchy and tasty Mysore bonda is ready to serve. Serve hot with coconut chutney/ peanut chutney/ sambar.. Enjoy.