What is kofta– Kofta is a deep-fried ball of minced vegetables or grounded meat. Kofta is found in the Indian subcontinent, Middle Eastern and Central Asian cuisines (as Wikipedia says).
Indian recipe of kofta includes different vegetables like potato, bottle gourd, paneer, and banana. Meat kofta includes mutton, chicken, and lamb. Fish kofta is also found in India.
How to make kofta – Here we preparing kofta with bottle gourd / anabakaya / lauki kofta. In the preparation, we grate the bottle gourd and extract the water by squeezing the grated bottle gourd. Now we add besan powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to the squeezed bottle gourd. and we make round balls. Now deep fry these balls and add the balls in the spicy onion tomato gravy. It is very easy to make.
While making the kofta balls, add salt just before you deep fry them. Because grated bottle gourd leaves the water when you add salt earlier.
Lauki kofta goes well with rice, roti or chapathi.
You can check my other bottle gourd/ anbakaya/ lauki recipes:
You can also check my other vegetarian recipes here: different vegetarian recipes
Step by step procedure to make lauki kofta recipe home style:
Preparation time:20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Equipment required: cooking pan
- Bottle gourd/ lauki/ dudhi/ anabakaya: 500gms / 1
- Onion: 2, big
- Tomato: 3, Make a puree
- Ginger: a 1-inch piece
- Garlic Cloves: 4
- Turmeric powder: half tablespoon
- Coriander powder: 2 tablespoons
- Red chili powder: 1 tablespoon
- Jeera powder: half tablespoon
- Besan powder: 5 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds: half tablespoon
- Cinnamon stick: 1
- Star anise: 1
- Salt: as required
To make kofta:
- Wash bottle gourd and peel the skin. Grate the bottle gourd.
- Now squeeze the excess water in grated bottle gourd.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, jeera powder, besan and salt to the squeezed bottle gourd. Mix well and make lemon sized balls.
- Now deep fry these balls and keep it aside.
To make kofta gravy:
- Add chopped onion, ginger and garlic in a blender and make a fine paste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan, add cinnamon stick, star anise and, cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Now add onion paste, turmeric powder, and salt. cook till oil separates.
- Now add coriander powder, jeera powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well and saute for a while.
- Meanwhile, add chopped tomatoes in a blender and make tomato puree. Now add these puree to the pan and cook till oil separates.
- Now add kofta balls and 1 cup water and bring it to boil. Once boiling point reached, reduce the flame to low and cook till desired consistency appears.
Now delicious lauki kofta is ready to serve. Serve hot with rice, roti or chapathi.