Kudumulu are traditional Andhra Pradesh rice rava balls and these made with rice rava/ rice flour. Most of the times kudumulu are prepared as navaidyam to God. Like in tholi ekadashi , Laxmi Pooja or Ganesh chaturthi etc.
Kudumulu taste little similar to idly. We can prepare very easily. For additional taste we add Channa dal and gratedcoconut. These gives you amazing taste. Very healthy too.
Kudumulu goes well with coconut chutney, peanut chutney or coconut peanut chutney.
It is better to use home made rava for good taste and texture. To make home made rava, wash and drain the rice. Dry these rice on a cotton cloth(use old cotton blanket or saree). Then grind these rice in a dry mixture jar till coarsely done(don’t grind wet rice. Rice should be moisture free). You can prepare kudumulu or rava upma, uppudupindi etc recipes with this rava.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Equipment required: non stick cooking vessel and idly cooker.
- Rice rava/ vari nuka: 2 cups
- Chana dal/ senaga pappu: 2 table spoons
- Grated coconut/ dry coconut powder: 1 table spoon (optional)
- Salt : 1/4th table spoon
- In a large kadai, add 4 cups of water and chana dal. Switch on the stove and put this kadai under medium flame until it boils.
- Once boiling point is reached, reduce the flame to low and boil it for 1 minute. Now add salt and grated coconut or coconut powder and wait for a minute.
- Now pour rava slowly. While adding rava, stir continuously. Then, close the lid and cook it for 5-6 minutes (stir inbetween). Cook till rava should properly done.
- Now switch off the stove and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Now grease your hands with water and take a small portion of cooked rava and make a small ball with your two Palms by rotating clockwise direction.
- Make balls with entire rava.
- Take idly cooker, add some water and place one idly rack. Now put all the rava balls in this idly rack and close the lid.
- Switch on the stove and steam it for 6-7 minutes. Then switch off the stove and wait till pressure goes off.
Now tasty kudumulu are ready to serve. Serve hot with coconut or peanut chutney.