We generally see very less varieties of recipes using Ivy gourd (Dondakaya / Tindora) because of which this is not a routine choice for many of the households. But we can prepare amazing recipes with ivy gourd. Here, I am bringing you a new recipe of ivy gourd, which can go well with your main course. Try those, you would definitely love to add this vegetable in your weekly menu calendar.
In this ivy gourd masala curry , adding coconut to the masala gives you a fabulous taste . To prepare this curry, we are using masala paste (onion, ginger, garlic and dry coconut powder/grated coconut). We add red chilli powder , turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt with masala paste. That will be put in + shape chopped ivy gourd. Cook this masala stuffed ivy gourds. Thats it. This recipe procedure is similar like bangaian masala curry.
With ivy gourd, we can prepare fry recipe too. Ivy gourd fry recipe tastes good goes well with roti and rice as well.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Equipment required: pressure cooker
Author : Silpa
- Ivy gourd: 250 gms
- Onions: 3, chopped
- Ginger: little piece/ 50 gms
- Garlic cloves: 5
- Grated coconut/ dry coconut powder: 2 table spoons
- Turmeric powder: 1 table spoon
- Coriander powder: 1 table spoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 table spoon
- Garam masala powder : 1 table spoon
- Salt: As required.
- Wash and clean ivy gourds and cut the both ends and from one side cut like + shape till middle.(as like in above curry picture)
- Grind chopped onions, ginger, garlic cloves and dry coconut powder and make a fine paste.
- In this paste add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt. Mix well
- Now stuff this masala in between ivy gourds.
- Now heat the pressure cooker. Add 3 table spoons of oil. Once oil becomes hot add masala stuffed ivy gourds and leftover masala paste. Cook for 15 minutes. Stir inbetween.
- Now add 1 cup of water and close the cooker lid. Reduce flame to low. Wait for 2-3 whistles. Then turnoff the stove.
- When pressure completely goes out remove the lid. Now adjust salt and chilli powder and add chopped coriander leaves. Now curry is ready to serve.
- If curry is watery then, put it in simmer for couple of minutes.
- Adjust garam masala powder and red chilli powder according to your taste.