Idly is a traditional south Indian dish. Idly is very good in taste and healthy too. Idly contains protein, fibre and carbohydrates too.
Intake of idly in the mornings is very healthy for children. The softness of idly is lost longer till evening so it goes well in tiffin box too.
Most of us feel idly making is very long process. But it is very very easy to prepare. And with this idly batter we can make different recipies like Uthappa, bonda,pakoda, dosa etc.. so prepare this batter store it in freeze for upto 3 days you can make different recipie ever day.
Some prepare idly but it will go little hard. The reason is batter is little hard. Make smooth and fluffy batter and add water when you are making. If batter is little fluffy texture then idly will be smooth.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Equipment used : Idly cooker
- Split black gram ( urud daal, white): 1 cup
- Idly ravva : 2 cups
- Salt : 1 table spoon ( adjust accordingly)
- Soak split black gram ( urud daal) in water for 4- 5 hours. After 4 hours drain it and wash it.
- Now in a mix jar add soaked split black gram (urud daal) make a smooth paste by adding 1/2 cup water. Remember batter should be fluffy not thick.
- Meanwhile soak idly ravva in water for 1 hour then add it to the above paste and mix properly.
- Now rest this batter for upto 5- 6 hours or overnight..
- Add salt to the batter and pour this batter into idly holes in idly plate carefully. Put idly plates into idly cooker and place it on the stove.
- Cook in medium flame for upto 15 minutes. Meanwhile check idly by touching with finger. If it idly not wet then tasty idly is ready..
Serve hot idly with chutney or sambaar..