Drumstick rasam is a tangy recipe. Apart from regular masala curries you can try this tangy liquid curry. This recipe has Andhra flavour.
I am using simple ingredients like onions and green chillies along with drumstick here. For sourness, I am using tamarind. You can add small piece of jaggery or half table spoon sugar to get little sweet flavour. But I am not using jaggery or sugar in this drumstick here recipe And if you don’t like sour taste then you can skip tamarind as well.
I am putting tadka at the end of preparation. Because when you pour tadka at end, it will float on the top and looks great. So try this tip for tadka recipe. I am sure you love this tip.
Fry recipes are the best side dishes for this drumstick rasam/mulakkada pulusu. Use fresh drumsticks for better taste.
With drumsticks you can try Aloo drumstick curry.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Equipment required: curry pan
Ingredients for drumstick rasam:
- Drumstick: 1,skin peeled and chopped in 2 inch size pieces
- Onions: 2 medium, finely chopped
- Green chillies: 2, sliced
- Tamarind: small lemon sized ball (1 inch thick)
- Turmeric powder: half table spoon
- Red chilli powder: half table spoon
- Coriander powder: half table spoon
- Salt: as required
- Coriander leaves: half cup, finely chopped
- Garlic cloves: 3, crushed
- Cumin seeds: half table spoon
- Mustard seeds: half table spoon
- Red chilli: 1
- Curry leaves: few
- In a curry pan, add two table spoons of oil. Once oil becomes hot add finely chopped onions, green chillies and drumstick pieces, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and close the lid. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir inbetween.
- Meanwhile soak tamarind ball in water.
- Once onions and drumstick pieces are properly done add coriander powder and red chilli powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Now mash the tamarind in soaked water and extract the pulp. Add this tamarind juice to the cooked mixture.
- Now add 1 and half cup of water and bring it boil. Adjust salt and put it in simmer for 5 minutes. Now add coriander leaves and mix well. Now remove the rasam from stove and set a side
- In tadka pan heat 1 table spoon of oil. Now add crushed garlic cloves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Fry niecly and pour this tadka into drumstick rasam.
Now delicious drumstick rasam/ mulakkada pulusu is ready to serve.