Hello, I am bringing forth to you one of the podi(spiced coarse podwer) recipies from South Indian cuisine. Podi means , coarse podwer of different roasted spices and lentils and ground with tamarind. Simply, podi is a aromatic tangy flovoured spice powder.
There are wide variety of podi recipes in South India. Like Kandi podi(spiced lentil powder), Karam podi(spiced coriander powder), karivepaku podi(spiced curry leaves powder) etc. These are very easy to prepare and very good for health.
Now, I am introducing karivepaku podi (curry leaves Powder) is a, coarse powder of roasted spices , lentils and curry leaves, and ground with little pinch of tamarind.
Spices we are using here are split bengal gram, split black gram, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and whole red chillies.
This karivepaku podi can store for. 2-3 weeks. Store podi in an air tight container for long time use.
Most of us don’t like to eat curry leaves in curries and chutnies, so this podi is a good substitute for curry leaves. Specially, for children this curry leaves powder is a very good option.
Tip: Have this curry leaves powder (karivepaku podi) with hot rice and ghee or hot idly and ghee. It is the best combination ever.
You are requested to check, my other recipes
And more breakfast recipes
You can also check different chutney recipes
And more different chutney recipes
Complete procedure to make karivepaku podi (curry leaves powder):
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Equipment required: mixture grinder
- Curry leaves: 2 cups
- Dried red chillies : 7-8
- Cumin seeds: half table spoon
- Coriander seeds: half table spoon
- Split bengal gram: 2 table spoons
- Split black gram : 1 table spoon
- Tamarind pulp: pinch
- Oil: 1 table spoon
- Salt: as required
- Heat half table spoon of oil in a kadai, add split bengal gram, split black gram. Roast for a while on a low flame.
- Now, add cumin seeds, dried red chillies, coriander seeds. Roast them till niecly done. Don’t burn them. Once done, remove them from kadai and keep aside.
- Now, in the same kadai, heat half table spoon of oil. Add curry leaves and fry until they turn crispy. Dont burn them. Roast them in a low flame. Once done remove from kadai and keep it aside.
- Cool all the roasted ingredients.
- Now grind, split bengal gram, split black gram, cumin, coriander seeds and grind them coarsly.
- Now add tamarind and salt, grind them. Lastly add curry leaves and grind them.
- Adjust slat and store in air tight container.
Yummy curry leaves powder is ready to serve. Serve with hot rice or idly.