Coconut rice is a one of the south indian traditional rice recipe. I am cooking, rice with coconut flakes and some vegetables along with whole spices. I am preparing this recipe in my own style. It is a super easy rice recipe. And very good for health. You can have coconut rice with any curry, dal, raita and it can also be better had without any side dishes..
Because of its easy preparation, you can make it for kids’ and office lunch boxes. Wikipedia says, coconut rice is famous through out the world.
In the preparation, first we saute whole spices, next we add chopped veggies, fry till half done. Later we add washed rice and fry for 5 minutes. Later add grated coconut or dry coconut, fry for 1 minute. Once done, add double quantity of coconut milk or water to the rice . Bring it to boil and once reached boiling point, put it to low flame and cook till niecly done.
If you try any of my recipe, then tell us how it is succeded We appreciate your feedback.
Complete procedure to make coconut rice recipe:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Equipment required: heavy bottomed cooking vessel
- Rice : 2 cups
- Onion: 1 meduim, sliced
- Potato: 1 big, cubed
- Carrot: 1, diced
- Green peas: half cup, washed
- Coconut: half cup, grated
- Cinnamon stick: 1
- Bay leaf: 1
- Star anise: 2
- Elachi : 2
- Salt : as required
- Wash the rice and set a side.
- In a deep bottomed vessel heat 2 table spoons of ghee, then add cinnamon, elachi, star anise and bay leaf. Give a nice stir.
- Now add potato and carrot pieces fry for 5 minutes. Next add onions and green peas cook for 3 minutes.
- Later add rice and fry for 2 minutes. Then add grated coconut and fry 1 more minute. Now add 4 cups of water and required salt. Mix well and bring it to boil.
- Once boiling point is reached, reduce the flame to low. Cook till, rice is nicely done.
Delicious coconut rice is ready serve. Garnish with roasted cashews and serve hot.
- Entire cooking should be in medium to low flame.
- You can use dry coconut powder instead of fresh grated coconut.
- You can also replace water with coconut milk.