Brinjal means vankaya in Telugu , Baingan in Hindi. Brinjal masala is the king curry among vegetarian curries. In any state of India brinjal masala is special vegetarian curry , it has its own special taste. In my home, all of my family members favourite curry is brinjal masala. It is all time favourite.Generally 3 varaties of brinjals are available in India amongst them dark bluish brinjals are suitable for brinjal masala. In Andhra whatever ceremony it is ( marriage, birthday party, festivals etc) brinjal occupies the first place on the menu.There is a famous saying in Andhra about brinjal curry, ” brinjal masala or nothing else”.
Brinjals are rich source of iron, various vitamins and minerals. Brinjals are good for heart. Brinjals contains healthy nutrition and lots of health benefits too.Weekly consumption is good to you and your family.
We can make many different recipies with brinjals.We can make brinjal chutney ( vankaya pachadi), brinjal curry with milk ( vankaya Palu posina kura) and sambar. Each type of brinjal has its own unique taste.
In this brinjal masala we are using onions, ginger , garlic and coconut. Fine paste of this ingredients will give beautiful taste to curry. It very easy to prepare. Best suit with rice or roti. Different masala brinjal curries,like brinjal seasam seeds masala, brinjal peanut coconut masala, brinjal salan ( Baingan salan) etc..
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Equipment used: pressure cooker
Serves : 4
- Brinjals: 10, clean and chop ‘ +’ shape
- Onions: 3, chopped
- Ginger: 2 small pieces
- Garlic: 9 (5 for masala paste, 4 for tadka)
- Coconut powder/ grated coconut: 2 table spoons
- Turmeric powder: 1 table spoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 table spoon
- Coriander powder: 1 table spoon
- Masala powder: 1 table spoon
- Red chillies: 2
- Cumin seeds: 1 table spoon
- Curry leaves: few
- Coriander leaves: half cup
- Salt: 1 table spoon
- Make a fine paste of finely chopped onions, ginger, 5 garlic cloves and coconut powder.
- In a pressure cooker heat 3 table spoons of oil, once hot add 4 garlic cloves, red chillies, cumin seeds and curry leaves saute for 1 minute.cook in slow flame.
- Add masala paste saute for 3 minutes. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, masala powder and salt saute for 2 minutes.
- Add brinjals saute for 5 minutes.
- Now add 1 cup water and 1/2 cup milk put the wishtle. Wait for 3 whistles. Then switch off the stove.
- When vapour completely goes out remove the lid and add coriander leaves give a stir ( if gravy is watery then put it in simmer untill required gravy consistency appeared).
Serve hot with rice or roti…