Bellam garelu(pakam garelu) is most popular and traditional recipe in Andhra Pradesh. It is a sweet recipe. Vada is prepared with split black gram(use polished/white split black gram) by deep frying. These Vada is sweetened with jaggery(gud/bellam) syrup.
Usally bellam garelu(pakam garelu/sweet Vada) made on festival season as a prasad. In our home, we are found of this recipe.. procedure for this recipe is simple. Wada preparation is just like regular wada recipe procedure while jaggery syrup preparation is similar to sugar syrup procedure. The main flavour of bellam garelu comes from the jaggery syrup.
Using wada we can also prepare dahi wada.Dahi wada tastes too good and easy to prepare. I will update the recipe soon.
- Urud daal( split black gram/minapappu) : 2 cups
- Oil: 4 cups
- Salt: as required
- Jaggery: 1 and 1/2 cup, grated
- Sugar: half cup
- Cardamom powder: 1 table spoon
- First soak urud daal for 4 – 5 hours.
- Grind soaked urud daal by adding very little water. Make smooth and fluffy paste. If you add more water while grinding, vada will absorb more oil.
- In sauce pan add 1 cup of water, grated jaggery and sugar. Place it on stove bring it boil. Boil for 10 minutes untill we get a stciky jaggery syrup. Finally add cardmon powder and boil for 2 more minutes and switch off the stove.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a frying pan. Wet your hands and take lemon sized batter and flatten it with your hand✋ . Make a hole in the centre of the vada.
- Drop this vada into the hot oil, and fry both sides of the vada till golden color appears. Cook 3-4 Vadas at a time. Cook in a medium flame.
- Now drain the vada from oil and immediately soak in jaggery syrup.
- Soak for 10 minutes and remove them to other bowl.
- Repeat for remaining batter.