Beetroot chutney is a tangy and spiced chutney recipe. It is a coarse paste of sauted beetroot, bengal gram, black gram, red chilles and coriander seeds. It goes well with rice, roti or south indian breakfasts like idly, dosa, uthappam etc.
This chutney is to be prepared like any other south indian chutney. Like we saute chopped beetroot till tender and then we saute garlic, Cumin seeds, red chillies and curry leaves. Later we blend these spices with beetroot to make smooth paste.
Beetroot is very healthy vegetable. We generally take it as salad. But chutney is also one of the tasty and healthy recipe, and it doesn’t contain raw smell so children will also love this.
If try this recipe, then don’t forget to share your feedback with us.
You can also check my other recipes
- Cabbage chutney recipe
- Peanut chutney recipe
- Sesame seeds chutney recipe
- Onion chutney recipe
- May other chutney recipes
- Vegetrian curry recipes
Step by step procedure to make beetroot chutney recipe:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Equipment required: blender
- Beetroot: 2 medium, skin peeled and finely chopped
- Red chilles: 4
- Split bengal gram (Channa dal): 1 table spoon
- Split black gram (urud dal): half table spoon
- Cumin seeds (jeera): half table spoon
- Garlic cloves: 3
- Curry leaves: few
- First fry finely chopped beetroot for 5-6 minutes untill raw smell gone. Then remove roasted beetroot into plate and let it cool.
- In the same pan, add half table spoon of oil and add garlic cloves, split bengal gram, split black gram and fry for a while. Later add Cumin seeds, red chillies and curry leaves, roast well. Later remove them into plate and let it cool.
- Now blend cooled ingredients except beetroot, add salt and pinch of tamarind. Make coarse podwer.
- Now add beetroot to the blender, blend as smooth paste. Add little water if required.
Delicious beetroot chutney is ready to serve.
- You can replace red chilles with green chilles also.