Bottle gourd means anabakaya in Telugu, lauki in hindi. Anabakaya majjiiga pulusu (lauki kadhi) is one of the old recipe in Andhra Pradesh.In olden days there are no fridges to store. So people used to prepare different recipes with leftovers. This Anabakaya majjiiga pulusu( lauki kadhi) is came with left over buttermilk. Curry process is similar to kadhi recipe. It is very easy to prepare.
In this anabakaya majjiiga pulusu(lauki kadhi), we use buttermilk, bottle gourd, besan powder,red chilli powder, green chillies. While cooking continuous stirring is needed. Otherwise water will separate from buttermilk result we will not get desired consistency. We can make different recipes with curd or buttermilk like majjiiga Charu (rasam with thick buttermilk or whisked curd), perugu pachadulu ( chutnies with yougurt) .
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Equipment required: heavy bottomed vessel
- Curd : 2 cups
- Bottle gourd: 1/2 kg, medium size chopped
- Onions: 2, finely chopped
- Green chillies:2, vertically sliced
- Besan powder: 2 table spoons
- Turmeric powder: 1 table spoon
- Red chilli powder: 1 table spoon
- Salt : 1 and half table spoon
- Coriander leaves: half cup
For tampering (tadka):
- Garlic cloves: 5, crushed
- Mustard seeds(avalu/ Rai): 1 table spoon
- Cumin seeds(jelakarra/ jeera): 1 table spoon
- Fenugreek seeds(menthulu/ methi seeds): 1 table spoon
- Curry leaves: few
- In a heavy bottomed vessel add 2 table spoons of oil, once hot add finely chopped onions, green chillies, bottle gourd pieces, turmeric powder and salt. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk the curd by adding 4 cups of water. Add besan powder and little turmeric powder to it and whisk well.
- Once bottle gourd pieces are half cooked, add the whisked curd and stir constantly for every 1 minute upto 10 minutes. Cooking will be in low flame only.
- Boil it for 10 minutes for without stirring.
- Finally adjust salt and add chopped coriander leaves.
Tampering ( tadka):
- In tadka pan, add 1 table spoon of oil, once hot add crushed garlic cloves, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and red chillies saute for 1 minute
- Next add curry leaves give a stir.
- Pour this tadka to the above majjiiga pulusu ( kadi)
Serve hot with rice…
You can add drum sticks and brinjal pieces along with bottle gourd pieces.